Ceviche de Pescado (Fish ceviche)
In Peru, many types of ceviche are prepared, but fish ceviche is the classic and signature dish of our cuisine as well. To prepare this ceviche a variety of fish that our sea provides is used. However, there are also preparations that include different seafood and other types of meat.
How to make fish ceviche?
There are many ways to prepare a fish ceviche, however here I will show you the traditional way. It basically consists of marinating the fish in lemon juice for about 5 minutes or less. It is not necessary to soak it for long hours to achieve an excellent tasting ceviche. On the other hand, having the fish for a long time in the lemon causes the taste of the meat to be lost.
If you think that the lemon cooks the fish or kills the bacteria, then I regret to inform you that this is not correct. This is another reason not to unnecessarily prolong the time of preparation of a fish ceviche. Another point to keep in mind is that the onion also suffers the effects of lemon, and if exposed to acid for a long time loses firmness.
Regarding the ingredients here I will show you the most used, however you can add or remove according to your taste and look. A very important recommendation is that all ingredients must be carefully selected and cleaned. Keep in mind that being a raw dish especially in summer could easily be contaminated.
Peruvian fish ceviche recipe
Prepare this delicious fish ceviche and enjoy its great flavor with your friends or family. This dish is ideal to share a Sunday at home or a summer day on the beach. In addition to refreshing is super healthy and nutritious, now we are going with the recipe.
Servings: 4 people
Calories: 280 kcal
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Total: 40 minutes
- 1 kg of fish fillet
- 14 large limes (limes)
- 2 medium purple onions
- 2 lemon chili peppers (red chile)
- 1 tablespoon of ground garlic
- 100 grams of coriander (cilantro)
- 100 grams of weed (optional)
- 5 servings of fresh lettuce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sweet potatoes (sweet potatoes)
- 2 tender corn
- 250 grams of corn field
- Chop the fish into medium cubes of about 1.5 cm. Then add a little salt and pepper to taste for the meat to take seasoning and firmness. We reserve in a glass bowl or a stainless steel bowl. You can put it in the refrigerator in the meantime to cool it down, in summer this is very good
- Boil the sweet potatoes and corn in a pot, after they are cooked cut into slices. Sweet potatoes have to be removed beforehand. The corn can be cut into slices too, but if you prefer, you can slice it.
- Toast the corn field in a pot with salt and a stream of oil, toast until the corn “bursts”. If you do not have it at hand or it is difficult to get it you can do without it.
- Peel the onions and cut them into very thin strips (cut feather). We put them to soak 10 minutes in cold water with salt.
- Chop the lemon chili. If you want your ceviche to be very spicy before you should squeeze it and chop it with everything and seeds (seeds).
- Squeeze the lemons in a suitable container according to the recommendations given before and reserve.
- Chop the cilantro finely and reserve it, we must also have the rest of the ingredients ready to add.
- Mix the fish with chili pepper, ground garlic, coriander and onion. Add the lemon juice and stir the whole mixture several times. When the fish and lemon juice change color and turn white, it is ready.
- To finish we proved that the final level of salt is the one of our preference, and to serve has been said.
Tips for making fish ceviche
The fish must be very fresh, preferably obtained from the sea on the same day. With fish saved, refrigerated or frozen the result will not be the best (disastrous I would dare to say). You can use any fish, but I recommend one from the sea and that is soft and white meat.
The lemons should not be very green or very yellow, an intermediate color is fine. Neither should they have very thick or very thin skin. When you squeeze them you can do it with your hands or a juicer.
I recommend you squeeze them up to 60% and in a glass, so that the oils in the peel do not embitter the juice obtained. I advise you not to add all the lemon, regulate its quantity so that your ceviche is not too acidic.
The onions must be medium or small, with the large ones the proper form is not obtained (they are very thick). You can add them to the ceviche and mix them at the end of the preparation, or serve them alongside the fish.
The chili pepper must have a smooth and not rough appearance, which if it were, would indicate that it is not fresh. I recommend you choose those that have an intense red color, are the most aromatic (there are yellows and greens too). Do not add all the chili, take it little by little and go testing the level of itching.
You must be very careful with this chili, its itching is powerful and could make you have a hard time if you touch your eyes or face after handling it.
How to serve
The ceviche is served on a flat plate, the fish is placed on the base, a sheet of lettuce is placed on the side, the husked corn, the field and a portion of sweet potatoes. Add the juice of the preparation to taste and decorate with yoke if you have decided to include it. It is also usually put some strips of chili pepper or rocoto on top to decorate it.
If this recipe to prepare fish ceviche you liked give it a rating with the 5 stars. Contributes to Peruvian ceviche becoming more popular around the world by sharing this recipe in the social network of your choice, thank you very much.